Monday, March 2, 2009

Yummy!

So I had a few requests to post a recipe I made at a Relief Society activity last week. Here it is girls!

Fresh Tomato Soup with Tortellini

Prep: 25 min
Cook: 30 min

1 large onion, chopped (1 Cup)
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 6 medium) I am sure you could use canned tomatoes to make it really easy
3 cups chicken broth
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh sage or 1 tsp. dried sage, crushed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 ounces packaged dried tortellini (I used the fresh cheese tortellini found in the fridge department by the cheese at Smith's, probably about 10-15 ounces)
¼ Cup Finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
6 fresh sage leaves (optional)

Directions:

1.In a large saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter until tender. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato sauce, sage, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
2.Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions.
3.Press tomato mixture through a food mill or place 1/3 to ½ of the mixture in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
4.Return tomato mixture to saucepan. Add cooked and drained tortellini; heat through. Spoon soup into bowls; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. If desired, garnish with fresh sage leaves. Makes 6 side-dish servings, or 4 main-dish servings.

1 comment:

Amylee said...

Darcy, I love you!!! When I saw the title of the post I was crossing my fingers that it was this recipe. I'm going to try to make it tonight.