Friday, February 17, 2012

7 pound baby

Hey all,

Where do I begin? So, Dad had a horrible night. The pain became so severe from the pressure in his belly that he was unable to sleep pretty much the whole night and this morning while we were waiting to hear the plan from the doctors he started spitting up copious amounts of bile. It was obvious that his stomach was not working AGAIN. Miserable man...

So, just before 10:00 this morning the doctor came in and told us that he would be going in for surgery as soon as possible to clean out the fluid with a scope. He said that the WBC count had gone up so they were worried about more infection. They put an NG tube down into his stomach and immediately pulled out about 1/2 liter of bile. No wonder his reflux was so bad. They took him to the OR around 11:20.

Here comes the 7 pound baby. Apparently when they got the scope they were unable to pull out any fluid because it wasn't really fluid, it was like a thick infected gel substance! Yuck! Sorry if this is making you sick... Anyway, they had to cut a 4 in. incision and literally pull out the gunk with their hands, 7 pounds of gunk to be exact. Then they flushed him out with saline and sewed up the muscle but left the incision open so as not to close in the infection.

Basically the doctor said that it was a very good thing they did this, it didn't happen a moment too soon, and that he was so surprised that Dad wasn't showing more signs of being sick with that amount of infected fluid. So, he is going back to his regular room and the gunk is going to the lab to help them know how to treat him better.

Whew! Sorry if I am sharing too much information. Thanks for all your prayers and loving words.

Love,
Darcy

5 comments:

Amylee said...

My dear friend. My heart is aching for you. I feel I have been so inadequate in helping your family, but I don't know how. Please know that you are in my thoughts and I am praying for you and your Dad always. I'm thankful you are blogging! I know you are so busy and I havent' wanted to bother you, but we are all pulling for your Dad and have been wondering how everything is going. It sounds like it was a good thing they got that surgery done when they did! I can't imagine an infection like that. Gunk. So awful. Praying for strength and peace for you all. PLEASE CALL ME ANY TIME.

I love you.
Amylee

Shiloh Vedaa said...

Strong people fight hard for people they love. I am keeping you all in my prayers. This story is hitting so close to home. Please keep sharing your story so we can continue to pray specifically for his needs. My love goes out to you and your family.

Deanna said...

Darc, thank you so much for posting. We will keep your family in our prayers. Hopefully the updates are cathartic for you because I hope you keep them coming. Please give your sweet mom a hug for me.

Sam and Darcy said...

Thank you everyone! It is so nice to know we have so many to love and support us.

Nelson said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe the 7 pound baby! I am so happy they were able to get it out. Again, thanks for updating us.
I love you! I would be happy to watch your kids in the afternoons (after preschool) or on Fridays. Please call me if you need me.